Sayville was founded by John Edwards (b. 1738) of East Hampton, New York. He built his home, the first in Sayville, in 1761, located at what is now the northwest corner of Foster Avenue and Edwards Street.
Until 1837 Sayville was known informally as "over south." Because of an error the name of the town remained "Sayville", as there were many "Seaville"s in the world but no "Sayville"s.
At Port O' Call there is a large pier with plenty of benches for relaxing, fishing, and looking out at the beautiful scenery.